MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:29 pm

Post subject: Trucks/Cars physics
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:09 am 

I downloaded/installed some trucks/cars including weird ones like the star wars racer, chuck wagon, & others and noticed that they all pretty much drive the same. Can the car physics be changed for each car? If so, how? Also, is it possible to create new cockpits for each car? If so, how? Thanks for any info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:24 am 

Game physics are fixed. The only thing that can be changed is dimensions of the vehicle and it's center of gravity, and wheel positions, which affect how it will handle.

There's a few things that can be done with the ride height, but handling results are usually poor, relative to stock height settings.

By cockpits, I assume you mean the in-cockpit view. There might be a way to change the existing one, but since all the vehicles use the same cockpit view, change it for one means you change it for all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:27 am 
So there is no way to change the physics in the game? Has anyone tried or has a tutorial on how to do it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:58 am 
Glow Ball

He already answered your question. Repeating it won't make it change.

If you want to learn how to make trucks, I recommend you start here.

http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/repaint/

It's only a repaint tutorial but until you learn how the game works you'll just be spinning your wheels anyway. Start at the beginning like everybody else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:47 pm 

Phinny, not true. You can make a custom cockpit and give it a different base name from powerbig. then in the trk file change the instrument cluster.
It theoretically can be done but no one really ever has persued it much. I think OP made a woodgrain one once but it might have been mtm1.
It cant be done by a beginner that's for sure. I dont know if i could figure it out that easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:12 pm 

You sure about that CH? When I try to load POWERBIG.BIN into Binedit 1.07, I get an "Unknown bin type 0x45" error message.

Trying to load it into Binedit 2 returns with "Unknown bin type 0x12f018

Also, an attempt to import it into Zmodeler gets this message:

Have you ever successfully loaded powerbig? It's always best to test and prove a theory before announcing it as fact...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:40 pm 
easy company

opens fine for me. newer BE versions are more compatible with many unknown file types

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:11 pm 

This is the result using BE 2.0 on my system:

I tried it using 2.2.8, and the program just ignores me, as if I hadn't tried to load anything. No error message, ......nothing.

UPDATE:

I just extracted my truck2.pod files again, and it appeared, so perhaps my copy had become corrupted somehow (probably from extracting files from member's trucks while helping them solve problems with their projects.

But this is just an mtm1 model.....What does this model have to do with the cockpit?

I suspect the actual cockpit is a binary file associated with this model, and not a binary 3D model in it's own sense. Any thoughts on this? I know it has been discussed before, but that was some time ago, and I cannot recall the details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:15 pm 
Glow Ball

Quote:
Phinny, not true.

What's not true?

But yes, the cockpit can be changed, but like CH says, it's not beginner stuff. There is a tutorial for it in the works but not finished yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:51 pm 

Oh, I meant to say dogge, not true.

Not powerbig.bin

Cockpits are cool...

all the powerbig files in the data directory. powerbig.480 powerbig.200 etc.

check cockpit.pod

tricky thing is that all the cockpit.pod files arent square so it's tricky to get their dimensions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:31 am 

This sparked some interest back into me.
This time it all seemed a lot simpler than last time lol. Maybe cause i reverse engineered a couple other games since then, this stuff is old hat. Only thing is that it doesnt seem to read the 3d window and mirror angle and zoom out of the .480 file anymore. They probably hardcoded it for increased speed or somthing. Idk. What's your take on this phinny? (I assume it is you who is producing the tut)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:37 am 
Glow Ball

Good ol' Winterkill is the feller dissecting the game's innerds. I don't have a link at the moment - he keeps hiding things from me - but he's got more info than I could ever hope to summarize in a few thousand words. Hopefully he'll open the page soon or make it available to you/us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:38 am 
easy company

Wint has a pretty good handle on this powerbig stuff and even worked up some prototypes for the radio flyer which I was too lazy to fine tune. Last I heard he just about had the turorial wrapped up, which was about a year ago lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:44 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

>>Radio Flyer

I suppose the camera would be located in the box?

I once tried to make my own cockpit image - two or three years ago. It was a go-kart truck I had made, but it didn't work. I saved a screen shot of the cockpit of the 'kart, but nothing happened.

I remember a model of a cockpit (non-textured) that seemed to be dynamic, but now I think it was from Midtown Madness 2.

There must be a way to make new cockpits. Hmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:08 pm 
Check out Oliver Pieper's site,he had a new cockpit.Pod.
It is a maple wood cockpit [>>>]