MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:28 am

Are you interested in a respectable MTM2 chat room?
Yes 63%  63%  [ 10 ]
No Thanx 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject: Chat at #mtm2 on gamesnet
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:26 pm 

I have started an IRC Chat on Gamesnet
http://www.gamesnet.net/
the channel is #MTM2

Check out that link for how to get started with irc. mIRC is a great program for irc. trillian is pretty good at irc too.

I will always be in that chanel when online hopefully. I want to get a good respectable chat up for mtm2.
i suggest u guys do too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:32 am 
Glow Ball

Hey CH_2005,

What can you tell about this.

http://www.vrhome.com/game/main.htm

I sent the guy a note saying we wanted to be able to launch a game from an independent chat. He replied that the FSGS program could do it. I tried it out but can't make heads or tails of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:24 am 

IRC can do it i am sure. I would love to learn to write irc bots. This would be a great project.

Now if someoen could explain how networks work...

I know it has somthing to do with ports. And didnt msft finaly release which ports are used or somthing? I dont know how the msn gaming zone sets up games when u hit launch. It's not in the command line.

Anyone here know anything about networking?

Post subject: hola
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:06 pm 

well of course, as soon as the host hits launch the host now has a new port listening for incoming connections from the other players in the game... I know some about this.

Post subject: if you got a prog that u cant understand...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:08 pm 

if you have trouble send me the script/component. I'll work on it some, can do my best to get it working. I used to do some VB work with the DX7 class. I might be able to help

Post subject: Hey CH
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:29 pm 

gamesnet - sheesh, brings back memories. I used to go there for CS and a bunch of other games. I know you could do it with bots, but it would have to be on the client side and on the side of the bot. Whereever that may be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:56 am 

umm whoever said they were interested was lieing. no one has ever come to the room.

I was hoping that everyone would get mIRC and they would all log into the room and we could all chat about mtm2. but not like on the zone. talk about actualy mtm2 stuff. and people could come there for help etc. oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:53 pm 
Glow Ball

I was speaking with knarf about a chat room, launch pad type thing but we don't have the switches the game recognizes. Best we have so far is /h and the game starts in host mode - but no 'real' idea about host specifics. Feeding it the join command and ip info is still a mystery. Actually, it was OP who found the /h but he's been busy on trackview to delve further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:47 pm 

umm
it's right in the patch documentation patch.rtf:

Ability to initiate a multiplayer session by launching a command line.
When you initiate a multiplayer session by launching a command line, you can bypass all of the game screens and go directly to the Multiplayer screen.

To use a command line to initiate a multiplayer session that you are hosting, click Start, click Run, and then type the following in the Open box (or at the MS-DOS prompt):
monster.exe /h

To use a command line to initiate a multiplayer session in which you are joining an existing session, click Start, click Run, and then type the following in the Open box (or at the MS-DOS prompt):
monster.exe /j:NNN.NNN.NNN.NN (replace Ns with the Internet protocol (IP) address of the host you want to join)

I wasnt really talking about game launching in the irc chat.
A new zone could easily be made using this command line stuff :)
vipa's working on it (slowly i might add)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:04 pm 
Glow Ball

> I wasnt really talking about game launching in the irc chat.

Yes, I understood that. But the idea is still pretty cool.

> A new zone could easily be made using this command line stuff

Especially if you knew it. But patch.rtf? You mean we're supposed to read the readme files?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:15 am 

I have the framework for an IRC launcher right now that I am making for Xpand Rally. It will auto launch just like the Zone does.

Since this subject has come up here, my irc chat needs a private irc server base tho. In order to maintain on the fly race rooms with player list and race status (racing, waiting).

I have one installed on our team server for testing. But I'm stumped on adding the services so I can get Nick authorization.

Here is the package I am using. If anyone could help me with this sure would be appreciated and it would be simply to convert the code to mtm2.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~beware3/irc/

If you click on the services link I am trying to use the bworld services package. All the rest either are not for a windows box or the links are broken.

I have tried editing the files, but can't seem to get the services to work.

BTW the command line switches seem to be the same for MTM1 as well :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:35 am 

cool, however. I dont think that anyone here knows much about irc. I'd suggest you look to an IRC board, or probably a chat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:54 am 

ok, well, I have things figured out on the IRC services thing.

Basically this is how the program works.

1. Even tho it is an IRC based program you do not really have to know IRC at all, my program takes care of all the commands for your nick registering and identifying, joining main chat ,etc. Knowledge of actual irc commands is not needed.

2. This also is not a regular IRC program , so issues of scripts and security that might be associated with regular IRC Clients is not there.

3. When you make a race room you are in control like the zone, you can password, kick, tho you can ban in mine.

4. It does lack a good private chat feature, I did this intentionally since I am not knowledgable enough to get a proper ignore feature to work correctly.

5. It will auto launch like a zone room. It worked with Xpand Rally in some code tests, so no reason why it won't with mtm.

6. I can add buttons that can be configured to open external programs such as whatever you use to mount tracks and trucks.

Any ideas are welcome, I am no expert, so adding them would be dependant on my ability to figure out how. Just being honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:26 am 

It'd be good if it would switch pod lists. Being that mtm2 only has support for 99 tracks and 99 trucks at a time many people have what are called 'track lists' Team SLO has compiled quite a few good tracks into track lists.
http://teamslo.net/track_list.htm
Theres a good write up.
Making your program swap podini's based on the host of a room would be cool, and not too much work for the added benefit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:54 am 
Trackologist

Quote:
4. It does lack a good private chat feature

So that I understand, are you saying that in a game room there is no chat? Personally, I'm not too concerned with whether or not the host has the ability to dictate what list everyone is on. With the programs we have in place it's all too easy for people to change lists...and quickly at that. I'm not saying that if you actually put that feature in play I'd complain about it, either lol.

Anyway, from what I've read it sounds good, man. Any idea when we'll be able to check it out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:46 am 

No Cope. This has a main chat and you can make seprate race rooms, and you can interact between your race room and main chat at the same time.

I just don't have anything like zone friends in place.

After seeing there is a fine program for pod listings, I can simply make it so you can open it from within my program.

As far as when? hard to say, will try to have a test version, by the end of the week possiby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:13 am 
Trackologist

Oh ok - sounds great man. And for clarity sake, I wasn't referring to Zone Friends. I misunderstood what you were saying obviously lol. As long as we can chat amongst each other in the game room that's great! ;)

And no rush on cranking out a beta test - I was just curious.