MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:33 am

Post subject: I want online with 2 computers at the same time
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:30 am 

Is that possible ?

I want to play mtm2 with 2 computers at the same time. I want to be able to play against eachother and also against other players in rengames and/or IP

I'm behind a Linksys WRT 54 G router. I always played online putting my gaming computer as DMZ host. But now i want to be able to play online with 2 computers and i can only set 1 computer as DMZ host.

I have been busy with this the entire day. I have not been able to play against the other computer. Not when i give in my normal IP, nor when i give in my local IP.
I have however been able to play online with someone else with my laptop but therefor i had to set up my laptop as DMZ host. And that ofcourse means that i can't play online with my normal computer.

Anybody has any ideas ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:49 pm 
Glow Ball

I don't know if this will help or not but....

I turn off DHCP host and then assign a local ip number to each computer. Your computer, in turn, must be configured for that specific IP address. Do not let it find it's ip address automatically. Then in the router forwarding area, I forward the directx ports on a per computer basis. So, for example, this picture shows ports being forwarded to the computer at 192.168.1.161

http://mtm2.com/~mtmg/misc/ports/Linksy ... v14602.gif

To add another computer, you'd have to do the same thing but for a second address. Eg. 192.168.1.22

I can recall doing this long long ago but have not done it lately. In theory it should work. In reality, there may be an occasional port conflict. I don't remember all the details.

The only other alternative I can think of is getting a second ip address for the second computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:05 pm 

Thnx for the help Phin but sadly that did not work.

I allready had static local IP's for my computers. 192.168.1.101 for this pc and 192.168.1.102 for the laptop. There is a 3rd computer connected to this but i don't need that one for MTM2.

I opened up all the ports you said, both in TCP and in UDP and on both computers (.101 and .102). The only thing i had not yet done was turn off DHCP host but i did that also this time.

I tried hosting with the laptop and hosting with my normal gaming computer and then i tried joining with the other one. Twice i could try and join the server (OLD_Mumhra's truckin game) but when i clicked that i got the next error twice :

Taking a second IP number is not an option. That is a little to expensive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:21 pm 
Glow Ball

What address are you joining with? If both computers are 'behind' the firewall, then you 'should' be able to join using 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.102 because, as far as I know, the router blocks outside traffic from getting in. I don't think it blocks anything on the inside from accessing each other. This would be the same as sharing printers or files between computers on your network too - you don't have to do anything special to do that, just set up windows for file sharing and it's fine. Should be the same for mtm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:52 pm 

i am actually trying to join 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.102 and even that does not work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:34 pm 
Glow Ball

I don't know what to tell you. I was able to connect two computers through the same router with no special configuration at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:04 pm 

Thnx Phin...

i'm convinced it must work like this tho something is stopping it here.

I just had the laptop formatted. I did not yet bother taking it up in a local network but after your post i tried. And i noticed something strange. On the laptop i can work on the computer by going to network locations. But on the computer i cannot see the laptop. So i tried "search for computers" and i found the laptop but when i wanted to add it it asked me to give a password. The strange thing is that the laptop is not password secured... and nor is this computer. I think this is what is causing me these troubles but i have no idea why he asks for a password or what that password is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:47 am 

Try this program, it was invented for rakion for the same purpose
http://trevorsarchives.selfip.net/temp/PortLocker.zip

Rakion uses same ports as MTM2, so it should work, ive enver used it however

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:48 pm 

Thnx Slayer but sadly it does not work either. It gives the same error.

Maybe when i know that password so i can pick up the laptop in my local network. The laptop is property of my wife but is looked after at the school where she works. She just had it formatted over there and the guy who formatted it added a new account for him and i think i need the password to his account. I have no idea tho lol but i hope it will work then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:20 pm 

was worth a shot :)

My old router could do it, sorta, i know bugs router did it on its own, awesome, and my current one can't do it at all, i dont get it...
Bug and I coudl be in the same room, in game and IRL, using the same public IP, and still play people with no issues at all, it was amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:55 am 

I have finally been able to take up the laptop in my workgroup (file sharing and printer sharing is now possible) but still i can't connect the 2 computers inside MTM2.
I have tried everything. Firewalls (hardware and software) on and off, windows defender on and off, dmz on and off, port forwarding on and off, port triggering on and off.... I'm running out of ideas.

The strange thing is that i'm 100% convinced that i raced against my son a few years ago. Me on the computer on my son on the laptop. I can't remember doing anything with port forwarding or whatever. If i recall correctly i just installed the game and joined the 2 computers with local IP. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:15 am 
Glow Ball

OLD_mumhra wrote:
If i recall correctly i just installed the game and joined the 2 computers with local IP. :?

That's all I did just the other day. Nothing special.... because both computers are inside the firewall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:08 am 

I just thought of something. Last time when i went online i still had my old computer. Since the i bought a new one because the old one broke down.
I have no idea what is different but ever since i have this computer there are more things that i can't do no more which i used to have no problem with
- EVO2 does not work on this comp. Even the helpdesk at EVO2 could not help me out
- 1nsane does not work here. No idea why not
- For some strange reason my printer does not work on this computer. It's a HP and i have here a pentium 4 pc so it should be no problem at all
- I often have corrupted files when i try and download something. It's become so bad that these days i use the laptop for downloading big files. I brought the comp back to he store for this problem but they said they download several things and everything was ok. I thought for a while that the problems was with my modem but i can download with the laptop without a problem. Then i thougt that the problem was in the cable connecting this computer to the modem but when i wirelessly connected this computer to the modem i had the same problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:57 pm 
Glow Ball

If you can get ahold of a hard drive, take yours out and put a different one in... then install an operating system on it and see if there's a difference. Could be the hard drive corrupting things. And for what it's worth, I wouldn't put too much confidence in the computer shop report of no problem. They probably just downloaded a file or two and said oh yeah it's fine, without really testing anything. Computer service shops are notoriously inept and lazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:30 pm 

I will try a scandisk and a checkdisk from the moment my son gives me my computer back lol. Those kids just don't understand that sometimes they can't play...

I have always thought that those problems were related with a memory error but i never could prove it. I have 2 512 mb DDR RAM in there and removing either one of those 2 never solved my problems. And i always had that problem ever since the computer was new. So maybe i was wrong thinking it was a memory problem.
I have 2 hard discs installed in my computer. if i find the time i will install my windows on my 2nd hd as well and disconnect my first hd. Maybe that'll fix it.

Furthermore i just contacted my ISP because i found out something. Looks like all these years i have been paying for 2 IP's from my provider lol. And i went out and bought a router so i could get online with 2 pc's. Now i'm only using 1 IP and in order to get online with 2 pc's i'm using 2 local pc's.
My provider now told me that i needed a hub in order to be able to use the 2 IP's they give me. So tomorrow i will go out and buy me a hub. Then i have to place the hub behind my modem and then go to my pc with one cable and to my wireless router with another cable. The laptop i can connect with my wireless router and then i will make that laptop dmz host. My computer does not need to be dmz host since it won't be behind a router anymore... complicated lol. (I'm using a 3rd pc as well, also wireless... that's why i can't get rid of the router. that computer does not have mtm installed on it tho).

I hope that i will finally be able to get my 1st pc and my laptop online in mtm2 then. I will have 2 different IP's. But i still have doubts.... why can't i play online with lan now ?? If i can't play online in lan i won't be able to play online on the net with different IP's either i think...
On the other side.. i have played against Yomega using the laptop and i have always been able to play online with my pc. All i had to do was put the correct pc dmz host...

I will get back to you once i have the hub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:42 pm 

A checkdisc came out error free. As did a memtest.

But the good news is that i finally got online with the 2 comps :). Went to the store today, bought a fast ethernet switch, installed that and i could play.
I have 2 different IP's now but ok. My first computer is no more behind a router, only behind the switch. My laptop and second pc are behind the switch and behind the router. I thought we invented all this stuff to make life easier... i'm beginning to have second thoughts :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:56 pm 
easy company

Great. So now i'll have two mumhra's kicking my butt simultaneously once a week. :)

glad you got it working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:03 pm 

Maybe the OS needs to be reinstalled.

I did manage to get XP to run properly for about 1 and a half years after which it went berserk on me. I had completely random sounds happening while the PC was turned on :D Ended up switching to Vista in the meantime.