MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:29 am

Post subject: (non-MTM2) The Racing World development
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:51 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

I will be posting this on my own forum as well, but you guys are the only beta testers I have so I thought I'd let you input your opinion on this stuff.

You probably saw my demo (which I tried to host from Geocities but then Phin finally helped me out) which had no engine sound, loading screen, changeable options, or anything like that.

In the next demo, it will use the same UI as it will for all the rest of the demos I will release (also the final versions). Although I don't have any screen shots from the new demo so far, I do have a picture of what the main menu looks like so far.

Obviously, the white letters at the top show what the game is called, which we all know what. The red box will display what menu you're in, e.g. the main menu or the standard race menu or...

The big gray area in the middle is where the actual menu options will go. I will be leaving it blank, however, because doing so will allow a cool effect:

This effect is NFS4-style, in which selecting menu options causes the current menu to scroll downward. Then the new menu settings are loaded and those options scroll into view again.

I hope to upload some screenies a little later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:12 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

Okay, I guess everyone wants screen shots, huh?

The text written into the overhead bridge is just a Photoshop image edit; it's not really in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:27 pm 
The Dog House

Looking good there Mat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:47 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

You should see what I've got on my forum now.

And this one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:32 am 
MTM2 Fanatic

I have also (finally) figured out how I might be able to include people's custom tracks and vehicles as well, so that we won't have to wait for every new update to get everyone's cool cars and trucks.

Here's how I would do it:

-TRW would have several boxes, each for the path of a custom car/track.
-Tracks would be in .wmp format, which is the standard 3D GameStudio format. Cars, also, would be, because the body/tires/accessories would be in the file.
-To add a custom vehicle, you'd go into Options>>Custom Add-ons and type the name of each file you want to use as an addon, in the boxes seen above.
-During the loading process, The Racing World would search inside each file in those boxes, and place each on whatever track you're racing on.

During the Setup installation (upcoming demo), there could also be an option to install some extra tracks in there as well. Sierra Logging Run and A Crazier Eight, each by TRI, both come to mind here.

And here's a funny thing I discovered while looking around at the source code. Obviously whoever created the template that I used to create the game is a seriously bad speller.

Code:
// coeficienty of friction contant for arcade type of game
// play with this to change the vihaviuor of the car

Apparently, "coeficienty" is a misspelling of coefficient, and... I have no idea what contant is, but I don't like their vihaviuor about it.