MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:34 am

Choose a game and explain your desicion.
Midtown Madness 2 (2000) 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Carmageddon 3 TDR 2000 (1999) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Need for Speed Underground 2 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Driver 2 (maybe a not racing-game) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
None of the above 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
All of the above 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject: check out this poll about racing games
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:24 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

Well... If you have to buy a racing game... ....you know what's next.
so, let's choose.

only choose the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:31 pm 
MTM2 Fanatic

Well, I've got the MM2 demo, and it's really good, so...

Although I wouldn't pick NFS UG, because (although you guys will think I'm totally crazy) I hate that one. Actually, I like all the NFS games STARTING with High Stakes and ENDING with Hot Pursuit 2. HP2 is great, Porsche Unleashed is just as great, and High Stakes... well, it doesn't have the best graphics and all that, but somehow it's a classic, probably because it's the only one so far that has a '57 Chevy in it lol. NFSUG does have some interesting features, but (in my opinion...) it gets away from the feel of 100% pure high-speed racing.

Just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:43 pm 
The Dog House

NIR_{N4S}Charles. The only one I've tried there. I ran the Need for Speed a while then started running MTM2. Have tried a few racing games, Evo and others but, MTM2 gives a rush no other racing game can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:59 pm 
MTM2 Engineer

MTM2 and Carmageddon II are my favorite racing games. I like the destruction racing games but not "Demolition derby". That game is so boooooring. :oops:

- I've got Carmageddon III TDR 2000 But the game instalation doesn't works. a problem of RPC or PRC, who cares. [uhoh]

- Midtown madness 2 is a very good game, but I haven't got it. (If someone wants sell it or gift it to me... go on!)
[:-)]

- NFS Underground 2 ??? Totaly (or totally , or whatever) unknow for me. I really don't like NFS. The unique what I've got is NFS III Hot Pursuit. It's fun, but never like MTM2 or CM2. [nyuk]

- And I Think what Driver 2 is a bad 3D-copy of GTA2. [bump]

[:P]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:32 pm 

I had to choose none of the above. My all time fav racing game for the PC was SPORTS CAR GT.

My absolute favorite is the Gran Turismo series, but that's playstation only, so I didn't select it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:30 pm 

i voted nfs cause i really enjoyed nfsu and nfsu2 i played for a second and it was pretty good.
actually carmageddon looks hilarious but i've never gotten an oppertunity to play one.
i didnt like the beta of mm, thats the only i've played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:08 am 

None of the above lol

I play a lot of racing games (actually only race games), but not one of those you posted...
-grand prix legends (1967 and 1965, awaiting 1969 mod)
-flatout
-1nsane
-GTR (coming out in 2 weeks time, already out in Germany)
-Nascar2003 modded to GTP
-RFactor (only in multiplayer demo fase now, but a fantastic race game)
-Live for Speed (S1 is out, awaiting S2 which should be heaps better)
-Richard Burns Rally
-F1 Challenge modded to spirits of 1976

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:57 am 
You Gonna Eat That?

MTM2
Need For Speed High Stakes
Driver
DTR Sprints

That's all the driving games I have. Man... I need to get something newer one of these days. Pretty sad when the newest game I own is DTR...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:56 pm 

I never could get the hang of GPL....It was the first racing game for the PC I ever bought (even before MTM2). I was always getting passed, or spinning out trying to keep up.

It sits in it's case even today, hardly touched since 1999.

I must say, it certainly gave me a lot more respect for the GP drivers of that period.

OLD_mumhra, if you love racing games and can find a copy of SCGT, give it a try...I think you'll love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:48 am 

Hey Bigdogge... i don't know SCGT so please let me know what it stands for so maybe i can find a copy of it somewhere...

GPL is an extremely difficult games yes. But if you still have it i can only advise you and try and install it again. Then add de 65 mod. Those cars are a little lighter then the original ones, but more importantly they only have a 1500 cc engine. The 67 ones have 3000 cc engines.
Because of the less powerfull engine and the lighter chassis the 65 cars are easier to control then the 67 ones. You can drift through turns like hell and they are less tricky on the throttle.

Maybe the problem was you did not drive long enough. Most people try it, spin 3 times trying to get out of the pits and give up. You should drive at least 2 laps very slowly in order to get some heat in the tyres. Only then you will begin to understand how good the feel in the game is.

If you want to install the 65 mod just let me know. NIR_Knarf made a terrific website on how to do that, but it is in dutch. I can always help translating if you want (http://users.pandora.be/riptor/gplmanual/)
Also i can send you a replay of a race so you can see on just how good the drifting is and how close online races can be in this game. It's just fantastic.

You can't have as much fun in it as in MTM2 because you have to be fully concentrated to even finish a 1 hour race. But it really feels good when you finally get the hang of it :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:51 am 

I drove it for many laps, but I never developed the feel for the cars. I suppose if I stuck with it long enough I could get it down.

I'll dig around and see if I can locate the CD...If I do, I'll hit you up for those mods/add-ons.

SCGT (Sports Car GT) also requires concentration, especially when you get to the fastest classes.....I was literally shaking after some races. You need a good wheel for that one too (and some good pedals, because you will be dancing across them a lot).

I doubt you will find it in stores anymore. Even most of the websites associated with it are gone. I do see copies available on Ebay.

It looks like Download.com still offers the 20 meg demo..At least that will give you some idea of what it's like.

This demo might be a newer version, as I don't recall it having a Vector or a Mercedes....I'm going to download the demo myself and let you know. The one I have came out in 1999.

http://www.download.com/Sports-Car-GT-d ... 46324.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:40 am 

hmm..

i downed it, installed it and ran it.

It ask me which graphics renderer and i must give in a name i will be using and then it just kicks me back to desktop.
I've uninstalled some other programs that give me issues when trying to play older games but that does not help.

Bummer... since i have a very good wheel and a good set of pedals. Seems i will have to search a little further in order to find out what's wrong...

About GPL. You said you never developed a feel for the cars. Now there is a flaw in the slipcurve of the tyres with the 67 cars (the original ones). Even when they are warm they don't provide enough grip on slow corners. In the 65 mod that problem is solved so you get a good authentic feel of how the cars should behave.
It still is not easy compared to other racing games, but i don't think those cars were easy to drive. So to me it's just a challenge in trying to control them :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:03 am 

GPL is one of the only racing games I play at the moment. I'm running a challenge over at RaceSim Central. That challenge is for me to go faster than the benchmark time on each track. Look at the thread, in the RSC GPL forums, then GPLRank, and the thread is called 'A Backmarker's Travels'. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:20 am 

You can always try and get a negative ranking. But i'm more into online racing. Every sunday-evening we have a race on a track that is announced 2 weeks before. So we have 2 weeks to develop a good qualifying and race setup in order to get as much points as possible.

You can check it out here : http://www.vrl-simracing.be/ (sorry, it's in dutch [nyuk] )
NIR_Knarf is currently 3rd in division 1 which races cars from 1967
SLO_Scrooch is 9th also in division 1 with 1967 cars
And i am currently 2nd in division 2 with cars from 1965

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:23 am 

Quote:
It ask me which graphics renderer and i must give in a name i will be using and then it just kicks me back to desktop.

Hmmmm.....it took me a bit longer on dial-up, but I just downloaded, installed and tried it with success (and I can now verify that it iS a demo of the same game I have on CD).

I set graphics to DirectX, and when the player screen came up, I set it to QUICK RACE, typed in a name, hit OK, and it continued without crashing to the car/track selection screen ( the demo gives you 3 cars and one track to pick from).

What hardware are you using? I'm on a pent-3 with a geforce-2 card and DirectX 9.0b.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:31 am 

This is a shot of the screen that should come up after selecting your "driver" name:

and this is a shot of me doing some tire-smoking donuts with a Panoz on the demo track:

If you do finally get it to work and reach the track/car selection screen, move your cursor to the bottom of the screen, and a menu bar will pop up that will allow you to ajust options like sound, graphics, and more....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:37 am 

i don't get that screen.
I also chose direct3D, chose quick race, typed in a name and got back on Desktop.

I'm using an AMD 1600+ (1400 mhz), Gforce 4 ti4200, windows xp pro and directx 9.0c

edit : got it. changed compatibility of that game to windows98/me and it works now
Don't have time to ride now, but will try later...
One more thing . Can i use multiple controllers in this game ? I use differents brands of Wheel and pedals so i need 2 USB ports for my controllers. Some games make no problem of that (GPL, RBR, GTR, rFactor, LFS,...), others do (MTM2). The pedals of my good wheel are busted so if the game does not work with multiple controllers i must take out my thrustmaster wheel. The pedals are good, but the wheel is worn out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:49 am 

I just found this item that says it might be SP2, if you have it installed. There's a dll offered that you can try, and also try using win98 compatibility mode:

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/board/view ... 1f5a2b1a2e

There's more to look through at that forum as well:

http://www.bhmotorsports.com/board/view ... 1f5a2b1a2e

You can find even more info by going to google and typing in "Sports car gt" troubleshoot (include the quotes). Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:53 am 

looks like i edited my previous post while you were replying lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:41 am 

ZOtm_BigDOGGe wrote:
Quote:

Hmmmm.....it took me a bit longer on dial-up, but I just downloaded, installed and tried it with success (and I can now verify that it iS a demo of the same game I have on CD).

won't be easy to mod GPL to legends of 65 if you are on dial up. Lots of stuff has to be downed in order to get it going.
There is an easy way to do it. GPL does not have to be installed from the cd. After installation you can just pack your gpl folder and write it to cd. Then you can unpack that file on another pc. It 'll work perfect. The you only have to follow item 6 and 7 on the gplmanual ( http://users.pandora.be/riptor/gplmanual/ ) in order to have the game running.
I would send my folder to you, but packed it still is 160 MB big. That is without any replays. Setups are still in there. I think that is a little to big for dial up [uhoh] .

Back to sport car GT. It's not a bad game, but i'm having big troubles setting up my wheels. The FFB wheel keeps on pulling hard left, while the non-FFB wheel just does nothing. So far i've only managed to drive a few laps with keys. It is not easy but it works. And that's what worries me. Normally it should be practically impossible to drive with keys. If i push throttle button the rear wheels must start spinning like crazy (because i'm giving full throttle on colde tyres) but the car just drives away.
But like i said before. It's not a bad game because you have a lot of oversteer playing with keys. That's what i like because when i hit a key i'm turning 100% and a car should have troubles doing that.
The game reminds me of another older game (Le Mans 24 heures), but i must say it's heaps better then that one.
Only thing i really dislike is that EA sign at te beginning :D .

If you like sim-games you should try rFactor as well. it's only in online demo fase now. You can practise alone by setting up a server and make the game private so noone can join you.
Down it here : http://games.softpedia.com/get/Games-De ... Demo.shtml
and don't forget the patch : http://games.softpedia.com/progDownload ... -5785.html
All together it's about 70 mb's big. Maybe it's to much, i dunnow.