MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:40 am

Post subject: Overlay Map question
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:45 am 

I know most ppl don't use the map when they're racing, but I need to since I run using cab view and it's the only way I can see when someone is close to me. Is there a way to fix it so the map comes on when the game launches (like the pitboard does) without having to hit TAB? I am limited to just using my right arm for doing everything, and I lose a little time having to hit TAB before I can put my hand on the joystick.

------------------
Scatter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:48 am 
Glow Ball

You can always program it to one of the buttons on the joystick. Something handy but not likely to be hit accidentally.

<font size=1 >You'll notice I didn't ask what you're doing with your other hand</font> Image

<font size=1>Edited by Phineus (13-05-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:37 pm 

Ya, that would work if I could move my fingers Phin. I forgot to put this in the original post, I'm a C-5 Quadriplegic. That means I'm paralyzed from the chest down. I wear a brace on my right arm to hold my wrist stiff and it's where I put a pen for typing keys on the kb. My left arm is almost useless.

Now just because I'v shared this, I'm not looking for pity and everyone I'v been associated and raced with, whether they knew my situation or not, has treated me great. I have no complaints. I was just looking for a way to get my map to come up by itself, which probly isn't possible. But it never hurts to ask the pros.

------------------
Scatter

<font size=1>Edited by SLO_SCATTER (14-05-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 11:09 pm 
Glow Ball

That's cool Scatter. I suspected as much when you posted but was just keeping it light. I wouldn't let anybody else get away with walking straight into one, so I saw no reason to let you off the hook ;-)

Anyway, back on point. I don't know if this will work, but it might be possible to set the monster.ini file manually then write protect it. I have no idea what line or what code. The draw back of doing this is that garage settings would (probably) be frozen and each time you want to make a change to options (graphics, sound, etc) you might have some trouble. Might. It might just as well work for the duration of the game then reset on restart. If you think this is somthing work tinkering with, we can figure it out.

------------------
Signiture

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:39 am 

You make me smile......is there nothing that can keep MTMers from playing the game?....nope.....

---------------------------
All I can suggest is to use the keyboard assignments in the game to program a different key as the map key (instead of TAB), and assign it to an unused key very close to your arrow keys (or whatever keys you use to drive with) ...You at least should be able to activate the map quicker before the race starts....

In truth, I've always used the "in-the-cab" view myself, but I never worried about who was behind me....I aways concentrate on those in front of me (until there IS no one else in front of me...heh heh).

Even with games like Viper Racing and Sports Car GT, I will turn the rear-view mirrors OFF...

...don't need those distractions when I'm blowing doors off at top speed...;-)

------------------
- BigDOGGe's Boneyard ...The Best Custom Trucks in MTM2 -

<font size=1>Edited by ZOtm_BigDOGGe (14-05-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 5:47 am 

hehe you really missing something then. To race in chase far allow you not only to see who's behind, who's in front and who's beside it allows you to see further out on the track and stabilize your view. it shake much less. It's also a big plus as you can act much more like you would in reality as you can avoid crashing in someone else beside you or avoid ditching him as you set in for a curve.
hehe In cab drivers are known to be rough on the track compare as those on chase far. well, some are rough in either too lol

Anyway. did not mean this to go off topic so let's go back to the point.
I agree with DoGGe, a closer key on keyboard would probly do better ya. We'll talk about it on RW tomorrow morning if ya want.

------------------
Jumper
Only those who will risk going to far can possibly find out how far one can go.

<font size=1>Edited by SLO_Jumper (14-05-2003)</font>

<font size=1>Edited by SLO_Jumper (14-05-2003)</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:29 am 

Thanks for the input guys.

I had it stuck in my mind that it had to be something I had to change in the System.ini like the different horns or the latency display. I never thought about using the customize keyboard button. Well, actually I thought that button was used if you used the keys to drive with, which I don't.

Anyway, I took BigDOGGe's advice and changed the map key to the Page Down button. That makes it a lot easier and faster to turn on the map.

MTMers are the best when it comes to lending someone a hand. Thanks a lot guys.

------------------
Scatter