MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:10 am

Post subject: AVI file won't play
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:54 am 
Glow Ball

I have an avi file (Wallace & Gromit : A Grand Day Out.avi - I've never seen this stuff and thought I'd give it a try) but windows media player won't play it. I can hear sound but I get no picture. Has anybody experience this or know of a fix? Thanks.

btw, the number of inappropriately named files floating around the net is incredibly high Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:46 pm 

AVI files can use many different codec's, I have had the best luck lately using the Nimo Codec Pack, you can get it here.

http://www.btinternet.com/~nimosiro/

Even with it you have to sometimes experiment with different combinations of codec's to get some AVI file to run.

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:54 pm 

I can almost guarantee that you need divx. Go to www.divx.com and d/l and install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:08 pm 
which version of media player have u got?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:51 pm 

I'll bet my undies that you need Divx. Download the one that Obe showed to you. It's Divx 5.02 (i believe) but i'd run Lavasoft Ad-Ware after installing the codec since it comes with Gator crap.

If it still doesn't run you need either some files that only Divx 4 uses (they aren't available in Divx5), you need something else or you are dern unlucky.

------------------
"But the music is not too outstanding as the sound effects (Like the footsteps mario makes when walking on brick)" - review Super Mario Sunshine by KronoKross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 7:37 am 
Glow Ball

Ack! what can of worms have I opened here? I downloaded divx, I took the el cheapo version with no adware, and I got an image. I also installed the alpha player. Oops, big problems. But windows media player 8.0.0.4487 works now anyway. I was going to take a screen shot but the pic doesn't show up. Then I went to rep fan's link and it says you can tell the codec you need by looking at the file's properties, which I did and it turns out divx is correct. Geez, nothing's ever simple. Woody, how do you switch codecs or now that divx is installed how can you tell which one is being use? And will this interfere with anything else I do, for example recording audio?

Thanks all for the prompt replies. I must've been living in the dark or something because this is the first I've heard of this stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:59 pm 

Well it's like this:

1. This one comes with spy-ware. Period (doesn't matter what they say)
2. I forgot to tell you that the alpha player is sucky and it's best to avoid it (for some people it works).

I don't think you can switch between codecs (but i don't have Win XP, that thing has some weird stuff).
As i said, if it still doesn't work there is a chance that you need a codec file that only Divx 4.xx uses and it's not available in Divx 5.xx
I know because this happened to me and had to search through my stuff to install an older version and then install Divx 5 again.

------------------
"But the music is not too outstanding as the sound effects (Like the footsteps mario makes when walking on brick)" - review Super Mario Sunshine by KronoKross