It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 5:23 am

Post subject: MTM2 Optimization
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:17 am 
My specs:

P4 2.0 Ghz
nVidia GeForce3 vid card
80 GB HD
Winxp

I posted this at KC's, but no one fixed it. My game runs flat at 75 FPS. Some may think this is not a problem, but it is 75 FPS EVERYWHERE, like it has a max. number of frames it can run. The real problem is when opponents get on screen. I get tremendous lag and the FPS drops drastically. No matter what, it wont go higher than 75 FPS. NVMax also doesn't help anything at all. Someone just help, I've had this problem and Im getting tense with it cause I cant race online well, heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:46 am 

Are you using all the graphical settings of the game? If yes then there's your problem Image If not... then the problem is somewhere else.

For online competition you always need to use the lowest graphical settings for optimal play (even if you have cable... it's just better, reduces lag no matter how powerfull your machine is).

------------------
The humans think it is a poison of the blood that makes us what we are.
Fools, the blood only feeds the bodies we live in. To create a vampire,
one must steal a soul from the abyss to reanimate the corpse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 3:16 am 
Glow Ball

Hey Slick, I have the same problem. I haven't solved it yet, but I've narrowed it down to either winXP or directX or both. I'm planning to reinstall win98 on this comp and try it with directx6 and see how it goes. Unfortunately, I might not get the chance for a while yet. You'd think a p4 with a boat load of ram should put performance through the roof but I think that for whatever twisted reason microsoft has other plans (prolly to sell us p5's).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 3:46 am 

Well i guess this just shows you should have gotten an AMD Image

I have constant 100fps (with 1 truck in screen) in places where there aren't objects and in places where there are.

98Se with Athlon XP 1800 and Gf3Ti500

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 8:15 am 
Yes, I do have all the graphics on High settings :), but turning anything or all of them down does nothing at all. Still 75 FPS everywhere. Come on, I get 100+ in N2002 with full settings. I think I should get better in MTM2 ;). Probably is Windows XP, I wouldn't doubt it. Microsoft probably programs XP to slow down older games, making us buy new ones ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 2:08 pm 

ahh i should know this one

ALOT of people have the same problem, and it is determined by a certain setting in the 3d cards control panel program or one of them overclockers which can disable this certain settings

its not called zbuffer but it seems to ring a bell for some reason...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:47 pm 

Make sure vsync is disabled in your 3D card options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:28 pm 

Well it is known that Win XP is not that compatible with games like Win98Se is.

And don't try to convince me it's not true cuz i tried it on my own computer. (this is directed to any non-believers)

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:10 pm 

Well, I can't see how a framerate over 75-odd benefits you at all, given that your MONITOR only has a refresh rate of (usually) 75Hz. That is, it's only redrawing the screen 75 times per second. My system specs are similar to yours (P4 2.0GHz, GeForce4 Ti4400). You're not alone with the capped framerate - mine sits just on 80fps, never more. But, it's a steady 80fps - it doesn't lose frames either (if it did, that would be something to worry about).

I don't have a problem with it. When I did DirectX programming, I learnt about how to get a flicker-free image, like you'd want in a game, on the screen. It's a bit complicated, but suffice to say that the game synchronises the rate at which it renders frames on the screen, with the redraw rate of the monitor. So if your monitor runs at the standard refresh rate of 75Hz (ie 75 redraws per second), the most you'll get is 75 individual frames per second. You can't get more pictures per second than that, because it's only drawing 75 times every second.

Of course, that then throws up the question of, how come some people are reporting framerates of 100 or more? With what I was taught, I honestly can't answer that, but I would surmise that the video card isn't synchronised with the monitor for rendering frames; the extra frames are being rendered internally as normal, but discarded before they can be drawn to screen because the machine has already rendered another one. Otherwise, you'd experience 'tearing', which is what happens when the image being drawn is changed *as* the monitor is drawing it (but if the refresh rate is fast enough, you probably wouldn't notice). Either that, or they're playing with an LCD screen or something hehe.

And anyway, because of persistence of vision, the human eye cannot discern individual frames at rates above 25 fps, and 75Hz/fps is well above that.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the problems of lag and a reduction in framerate you say you're getting when (and only when) opponents are on the screen, except that it shouldn't happen, unless you mean lag as in the trucks moving jerkily during an online race, which is most likely the fault of your network connection...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:17 pm 

So that's the reason i can't go past 100fps. Dang Image

Hehe anyway. When i load up the game with full graphical power the game "drags" even if it says 100fps. When there are minimal graphical settings the game moves alot faster with the same 100fps. Strange.

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:20 pm 

Oh, and Hac. Z-buffering is what is used for creating the illusion of depth when rendering 3D-scenes. You're probably thinking of double-buffering or triple-buffering, which is the concept of (say) a game doing the work of rendering a scene in one piece of memory (a buffer), while the monitor is busy drawing the frame using the rendered scene created earlier in another buffer. When it finishes drawing that first frame, the next one is already prepared for it.

Come to think of it, triple-buffering could be another explanation for framerates greater than the monitor refresh rate...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:30 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fila:
<B>So that's the reason i can't go past 100fps. Dang Image

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? You seriously have a monitor with a refresh rate of 100Hz?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:39 pm 

Sony Multiscan E230

I was actually lucky to get it. I had a 75mhz 15' monitor. Where my dad works a monitor went kaputt and he took mine to replace and bought this Sony for me. Just that in the papers it says he bought it for the place where he works Image

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:06 pm 
Glow Ball

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ObeOne:
Make sure vsync is disabled in your 3D card options.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welp, I now get flucuation in the framerate. Ranges from 60 to 125. Too soon to say whether this or the constant 75 is better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 1:49 am 

I have a Dell with a 266MHz Pentium 2 processor, 6GB hard drive, a bottom of the range video card which I aquired a few years back from a very old PC and WinME. I run the game at 80-90fps easily!

------------------
Wyld Stallyns Rule!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:32 am 
V-Sync is disabled and has been, without results.

I have 85mhz refresh rate. And it doesnt lag on just opponents..it'll get lag on a more detailed track as well.

SIG- yes I have a Dell too Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:21 am 
Glow Ball

>>I have 85mhz refresh rate.

me too.

What I did to make 'something happen':

Display properties
Settings tab
Advanced button
GeForce3 tab
Additional Properties button
---
Direct 3D Settings tab
More Direct3D button
Vertical Sync mode
Always off (from the drop down)
Also, Render no more than "10" frames ahead from the clickie scroller
Apply
OK
---
OpenGL Settings tab
Vertical sync
Off by default (from the drop down)
Apply
OK
---
OK
OK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 9:57 am 
nothing happens Phin. The Anti-aliasing selections do change the appearance of the game, but nothing changed framerates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:14 am 

If u taken out the Anti-aliasing and still same fps then it simply means you have a alot more fps in it but it doesn't use. Most likely because of what DS said. Because anti-aliasing really eats the fps of the Gf3 (not so much in Gf4 case).

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:43 pm 

>> If u taken out the Anti-aliasing and still same fps then it simply means you have a alot more fps in it but it doesn't use. Most likely because of what DS said.

I would think that turning off vertical sync would mean that it ignores what I said, so it shouldn't continue to stick to the refresh rate of the monitor. Possibly there's also a setting somewhere that sets the max framerate that the card will run, or else it's configured that itself.

And anyway, he shouldn't have framerate loss when opponent trucks appear on the screen, especially if it's got "more fps in it". But I trust when you say that it loses frames, it's a significant amount, not just one or two. And is this online racing, or against computer opponents, and with addon or stock trucks?