MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:41 pm

Post subject: Great Software I found
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:03 am 

Hey all, it's me.

I don't do anything with MTM much these days, but I thought some people might be interested in a little program I found.

It's called Surf+, get it from www.filemix.net.

The software allows you to disable things like pop-up windows (for those of you who frequent sites at Crosswinds and places) and also helps keep those dern cookies of your hard drive.

Take a look and see what you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 12:06 am 

sounds cool but this type of program is part of the reason that things like what Winterkill is talking about HERE are happening...if people dont support the sites by at least clicking on the banners once in a while we're going to see our free internet die..would you rather be hassled by a pop-up or have to pay a fee for every site you visit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 1:36 am 
Glow Ball

I understand what you're saying, but pop ups are the worst. If ads pay the way, then let them be unobtrusive banners. Recall, I set up an ezboard bbs in reaction against wwwboard's use of java ads that crashed browsers. Then when ezboard followed suit, I set up this one. These free services need to learn what works and what doesn't. There is nothing wrong with wanting people to click an ad. I've clicked ads many times myself. But there is a line between text ads and animated gifs, on the one hand, and in your face pop ups and poorly written java, on the other. I'm not even going to go into cookies that send your underwear size to every marketing company in the world. If a so-called free service can't learn the difference, then yes, they will go out fast. And good riddance. I've paid for shareware programs, I've sent postcards for postcardware (no, oliver pieper is not the only one), and I pay money for this site to be rid of ads and to get the things that make it work (that will never be available for free). So, you see, I have no objection to people making money, especially when it contributes something to the general good. But enough is enough. If free servers expect us to understand they need to at least cover their costs, then let them understand when they cross the line of what's acceptable.

ahem. I just reread what I've written and sounds like a bit of a tirade, don't it? So, I'll crawl back into my corner and be quiet now.

http://www.adsubtract.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 10:25 pm 

Hi guys, good to see ya'll still around.

There is a good handful of quality free programs that do such things, but I've never actaully run them myself. Cookies: I have "session cookies" enabled but have persistant ones turned off (which means I scan these forums for new posting via date inspection, hehe).

I hear what you're saying SD, and I certainly don't want the free ride to die, and I suppose the widespread and popular technological solutions for blocking ads could well be a large factor in making the ad market disappear (though I think the demise of ad revenue is largely due to the fact that it's simply not a sustainable business model as of now).

As for "accepting" advertising or not I do like to differentiate. I'd have no problem with blocking ads that I have no legitimate "interest" in (via AdSubtract/Surf+), such as all of those forced upon the innocent surfer. But if I have an "interest" in a service I would certainly not try to block or remove the very source of revenue that is paying my way, such as circumventing ad placement on my own pages or a free server, or shutting down ad consoles of free ISPs. I've frequently clicked the ads of services supporting me, as well as those of webmasters who've done a great job of providing a site (especially those).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 7:50 am 

There you guys go making me wonder why I typed what I typed..now that I really think about it most people who use the internet have no idea these little programs even exist so I doubt that has much to do with sites dropping left and right.

Take that SolarDog! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 9:43 am 
Glow Ball

lol, what was that? your weekly tuesday visit?