A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:54 am

Post subject: Cooperation
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2001 4:31 am 
Glow Ball

Cooperation

From time to time there seems to be misunderstanding about what cooperation is, and what makes the mtm community as strong and enduring as it has been for the past many years.

<blockquote>co-op-er-ate (kö äp æ rãt') vi. -at'-ed, at'ing [< L. co-, with + opus, work] to act or work together with another or others -- cooperation n. (from Webster's New World Dictionary)</blockquote>

Basically, what this means is that two or more people work together toward a common interest or goal.  The concept is closely related to "sharing".  Toward this end, people will build tracks and trucks to share with other people.  They will upload these tracks and trucks to web pages where others can download them.  Simple, really, isn't it?  Anyway, still others will build web pages to host these tracks and trucks, and yet more people will make web pages containing helpful information about how these tracks and trucks are made and the utilities that can help make the job easier.  Together, the group forms a sort of community in which everybody plays a part.  Nobody is obligated to do any one thing or another and certainly some people will only download the add-ons they like, and enjoy the game.  And why not, that's what it's all about.  Enjoying the things you like.

But, like I was saying, from time to time people will come along and have problems understanding what this means.  We see evidence of this in statements like, 'make me this truck', or 'I don't want to use binedit; I want to use ezbin (even tho it doesn't work)', or 'I don't want to read; I want you to tell me personally how to ...'  There are countless examples, but this should give you an idea of the hard-headedness that we've all seen.  Now, granted, a new person won't have seen this before and is certain to be unaware of what I'm talking about.  But that's okay, because we just have to go through this again and explain to the new person that the mtm community is based on give and take.  That people don't mind sharing their work and their knowledge.  But, and here's the crux of the situation and the reason I'm writing this, there is a line that everybody recognizes where they expect to see some return for their efforts.  Of course, some people will get to that line very early, while others seem never to reach it but reach it they eventually do.  By the same token, the expected return varies from one person to the next as well.  Don't get me wrong here, I'm not talking about permissions and credits.  What I'm talking about is crossing the line.  Whose line?  Well, today, it's my line.

I'll try to explain.  I have written many many pages containing information on just about every conceivable topic that pertains to mtm2.  I did this for many reasons, not least of which is that I do not have the time to write and re-write the same things again and again ad nauseum in e-mail correspondence.  But I'm no einstein and recognize that I can't possibly hit every possible situation before the questions are asked.  So, I host this message board where I, with the input of others, can expand and elaborate on old topics as well as explore new ones.  Nor do we have a monopoly here.  So, there is an interactive links page to other resources.  If a person cannot find something here, there is a good chance it might exist someplace else.  For example, beek's trucklot is the biggest resource for truck downloads.  But for tracks, the question remains open (at least it did at one time).  So, we put together the tracks on nbci page and it's sister site: Track Shots.  Now, the total of all this means: what you see is what you get.  If you don't see it here, then there is a high degree of probability that it is unavailable.  I cannot make tracks and trucks for you, I cannot make web sites for you.  I/we have provided the tools.  Now it's your turn to do some work.  We cannot do it for you.  And it's unreasonable to imagine we can.

Yes, it's true, there are exceptions to the rule.  ObeOne's texture dilemma comes to mind.  But that too was not doing the job for him but trying to solve the enigma.  Dozens of people mused over what seemed like a cryptic, unsolvable, and illogical situation.  Many months passed, almost a year, until we had it nailed down...which subsequently pried Slice60 out of TRI's tight grasp.  But, you see, this was not a one-way street.  It entail input, input and more input from many many people.  That! is how things get done.  That! is what cooperation is about.

Cooperation is not a one-way street.  It's a give and take situation.  But if you are one of those who take take take without ever considering giving anything back, ask yourself how long it will be before people get tired of being used, of being enslaved to your ceaseless requests for more more more.  I can't speak for other people; but, for myself, I am not here, it's not my purpose in life, to indulge your every whim.  People help those who help themselves.  If you cannot understand that, then don't be surprised when you are put on 'ignore'.

------------------
<FONT FACE="Arial" SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#2828E8">-</FONT><FONT COLOR="#3838E9"> </FONT><FONT COLOR="#4949EB">P</FONT><FONT COLOR="#5959ED">h</FONT><FONT COLOR="#6A6AEF">i</FONT><FONT COLOR="#7A7AF1">n</FONT><FONT COLOR="#8B8BF3">e</FONT><FONT COLOR="#9B9BF5">u</FONT><FONT COLOR="#ACACF7">s</FONT></FONT>

P.S. My apologies to those toward whom this does not apply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 3:01 pm 
well i know i've acted like a newbie many times in the past but ya live and learn Image

instead of being a loser i dedicate lots of my time to helping people now Image

some people may decide to make tracks, trucks or play the game or help people, i think its good to do a little bit of everything or opinions can become biast Image

hmmmm i sound weird i think i'll stop now lol

laterz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 4:21 pm 
Glow Ball

>but ya live and learn

Or at least that's what we hope. The problem arises when you jump through hoops for people and either they don't learn or they expect you to keep jumping through hoops.

>I sound weird

Occasionally ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 10:02 am 

>>>well i know i've acted like a newbie many times in the past but ya live and learn

ding ding ding and hackman finally smartens up lol Image

>>>hmmmm i sound weird

phin... ime gonna take that one step further... quite often lol

------------------
"If it don't hurt, you're not havin fun"

"Bloody hell, I don't Want To Be A Millionaire, I don't want to see people's Greed, I don't want to be a Survivor, Shipwrecked or left on a bloody Treasure Island, and I don't want to know who Big Brother is watching!" - Drive2Survive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 11:08 am 
Glow Ball

Psyco, you cruel little monkey. We all know that hacman is a cuddly bunch of thorns and thistles. Leave him be, for goodness sakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 2:22 pm 

Do you mean, actually LEAVE Haccy ALONE? No way! We can't do that! He's our whipping boy. And thorns and thistles he may be, but... cuddly? Oh my goodness! But I do find it quite shocking that he's decided to stop asking for things. I bet that Psyco's constant OJ 'n vodka benders have started leaking through to the rest of us....
Heheee!
-Angus

Keep on truckin!
http://angus.karf.net/
[img]http://angus.karf.net/smsmash.gif"%20width=75%20height=75%20alt="Angus's%20Smiley%20Smasher[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 5:12 pm 
Psyco....

ummmmm ok

Phineus....

ummmmm ok

Angus....

ummmmm ok

ever since the beginning of the REAL NEW MILLENIUM (2001) i've been very dif, for one i actually know stuff now, for two i now go around helping pplz and for three and yes im going to be a smartass can i actually have a link to hmtm2 in my signature or that just not right? lmao Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 5:19 pm 
Glow Ball

Jeez, and I was defending you too. Anyway...

> the REAL NEW MILLENIUM

Yea, don't you just hate those artificial milleniums?

And of course you can have a sig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 7:33 pm 
lol yeah gotta hate them artificial milleniums

how can i have a signature? im not registered? how do i register? what else does registering do? how many people are registered? teehee just jk im currently hanging around on some other bbs's Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 5:22 am 

hackman... i was just play'n man... cmon i thought we pretty much settled our diffrences....

phin... read ^ lol...

Angus.... >>>I bet that Psyco's constant OJ 'n vodka benders have started leaking through to the rest of us....

only on weekends dude... lol... dont even get me started on last weekend....

Hackman ... (again) we dont care about your sig... just dont make new posts specificly to premote your site.... k?

------------------

"Bloody hell, I don't Want To Be A Millionaire, I don't want to see people's Greed, I don't want to be a Survivor, Shipwrecked or left on a bloody Treasure Island, and I don't want to know who Big Brother is watching!" - Drive2Survive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 7:35 am 

hi...just passin thru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 11:41 am 

SD!!! WTH have you been? add me on icq dude

Later
WCW_Psyco
VRR_Psyco
WAS_Psyco
RAT_Psyco
UMK_Psyco
SHO_Psyco
SHO_Wolverine
:-)

------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2001 1:04 pm 

Lol... Just weekends, eh? That's more 'n me Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 8:01 am 

hehehe.. look at all those teams, Psyco/Wolverine..you're the Rickey Henderson of MTM.

I was into 4x4Evo for a bit but while it is visually great and a lot of great stuff from the addon end..the physics and something else I just cant put my finger on made me stray away from it. Im hoping evo2 will be more "finished" and ill grab that and get back into it. TRI is an awesome developer and Ill always give their stuff a shot.

dont have icq right now but I marked your # down and Ill add it when I get it again.

later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2001 9:16 am 

phineus when you said"How do i use EZbin (even hough it deosnt work)" were you recognizing me...i remember making a post very similar to that Image..lol i was a newbie too!!! and for all i know i might still be