MTM2.com

A forum for mtm2 discussion
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 6:19 pm

Post subject: Newbie Question
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 4:23 am 
I just picked up a copy of MTM2 after playing 4x4 evo for a while and it seems like a pretty cool game. I'm having a problem getting my controller set up that I hoping some one can help with. In 4x4 evo I can program up my sidewinder gamepad so the pad steers and the the trigger buttons are assigned to gas & brake. MTM2 has the same option, but setting the triggers up to gas & brake only seems to work for a split second. I still have to push the pad fwd to accelerate & back to brake/reverse. Has anyone else had this problem & know of a solution? Is there anything I can add to the monster.ini file to make this happen that I can't access in the controller set up?

TIA for any help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 12:16 pm 

I don't know about game pads, but my Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick came with Game Device Profiler software that allows you to map keyboard keys to buttons. So you could assign a keyboard command as Accelerate in MTM2, then use the Profiler to map that key to one of the joystick's buttons. Now you could press that button, and the game would get the same commands as if you were pressing the key.

If your Sidewinder gamepad has this software, you might like to try that.

[This message has been edited by Drive2Survive (edited 05-05-2001).]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2001 2:44 pm 
Thanks D2S. I tried the profiler software before & it only lets me map the buttons to keyboard commands, not the pad itself. So I can get the buttons to accel & brake but can't steer with the gamepad....

On another note, I spent most of the afternoon d/l'ing a bunch of trucks from different sites & trying them out. So far my favorite has been your "Bad Vibes" truck. EXCELLENT TRUCK!...I've had alot of fun with it. So I rolled back to your site and got the ltd edition & driven2extremes. Both cool also, but I keep going back to BV. FWIW thanks for sharing the great stuff you make with the rest of us....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2001 9:03 pm 

Well, the trouble I had with my Precision Pro 'stick was with Need For Speed SE - it recognised the thumbwheel throttle as the accelerator, and the rudder control (swivelling the stick) as the brake. You might imagine, this sort of setup was highly unsuitable for driving cars!

So what I did was retain the settings for using the joystick left/right for steering, but set accelerate and brake as keyboard commands. Then I used the profiler to map the keys to buttons on the stick. It qorked quite well, not ideal, but it was usable. Of course, I later found that NFSSE has a program that lets you force a controller configuration - for my stick, that meant making the game recognise it as a two-axis stick, rather than whatever lunacy itwas doing before.

I thought maybe you'd be able to pull this sort of trick off in MTM2, but maybe it's too sensible to let you mix and match controllers (keyboard for accelerate/brake, pad for steering) like that.

PS. Thanks for the good shout about my trucks Image

------------------
Drive2Survive's MTM2 Custom Workshop
The MTM2 Truck Making Tutorial
The BINedit Resource (temporary home)